At Languages in Motion, we work with exclusively with certified translators.

What does Certified Professional mean?

Certified Professionals are Translators, Interpreters and Terminologists that have been ‘Certified’ by a government authorized third party representative. Some specific examples of certifying bodies are ATA (American Translators Association) and CTTIC (Canadian Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters Council).

More information on the certification process is available at:


The titles of “Certified Translator”, “Certified Terminologist”, “Certified Interpreter”, “Certified Conference Interpreter” and “Certified Court Interpreter” are granted by the provincial regulatory bodies for these professions. CTTIC is responsible for the application of uniform standards for professional certification across Canada. CTTIC also administers the various exams that confer the right to use these titles.

Certified Professionals


Each Certified Translator must take an exam in order to be able to use the title of “Certified Translator”. The exam is not designed merely to show an aptitude, but rather to demonstrate a candidate’s professional skills. Candidates are considered able to practice their profession independently if their exam results demonstrate the ability to produce a faithful, idiomatic translation that requires little or no revision.

Interpreters are generally required to take exams in Conference Interpretation and/or Court Interpretation. Each exam, including those of translation, includes a section on Professional Ethics. Passing one of these exams confers the right to use the title of “Certified Translator, Interpreter or Terminologist”

Start typing and press Enter to search